Charles R. Haynie Building

  • 1010 Main St
  • Bastrop, TX 78602
The Haynie Building was built in 1882 by Charles R. and Alice Haynie. Haynie's two uncles were closely connected with the early history of Texas--one being killed in the Fannin massacre at Goliad and the other killed at the Alamo with Crockett, Travis and Bowie. An unusual arrangement resulted in the sale of the second floor to the Gambol Masonic Lodge who maintained ownership until 1976 while the first floor began as a grocery and market and went through a number of changes over the years. The second floor now houses apartments while the first floor is home to a retail store. Due to its architecture, it remains one of the most interesting buildings located downtown.